Week Three - July 13-17
DUE July 14: Assignment 2
Tuesday, July 14
- Resume basics
- Cover letter basics
- Targeting basics
EVENT - Seattle Lunch 2.0 @ Curious Office & H-Farm Ventures at Curious Office, July 16, 11:30am - 1:00pm, Curious Office 911 Western Ave #420 Seattle, Washington 98104. Free. Networking opportunity.
READING - Job Searching:
ASSIGNMENT 3: Due Tuesday, July 21
Develop a current resume and cover letter, and upload a PDF containing both to the Google Apps WEB205 blog (page Resume) by the end of class on Tuesday, July 21. 50 points.
Thursday, July 16
- Guest Speaker: Dan Williams is unable to come today due to a client meeting - sorry! He will reschedule.
- Reading discussions
- Know your market
This Week's Discussions
Random Question: Does not participating or having an opinion here in this class make you practiced in really standing out when you apply for work?
- For an agency - can be more generic with full info - 2 pager
- For a company board - fill in the blanks and/or upload PDF/Doc
- For a job board - same as company board
- For a job application - fill out by hand but have resume handy
- You are a professional when you work in the field, not based on the type of job - it's what you think
- Combo jobs - more than one at a time, mult part-time
- Contract to hire - 1-3 month+
- Long term contract with benefits - like Microsoft
- Get agency help - starter contracts, fill-in, project bits
- Flexible workplaces
Resumes and recruiters - what they say: see emails
Know your market
Other market information:
- Key elements - contact info, summary/objective, skills list, project list, education, experience, keywords
- Style - active, action words, benefits not features
- Number of pages - 1 or 2?
- Chronological, Functional, Combination, Targeted
- Chronological: Focuses on experience and dates first. Many employers like but not so good if you have gaps.
- Functional: Focuses on skills that demonstrate your qualifications rather than your chronological work history. Best if you have gaps, prefer project work, etc.
- Combination: Combines skills under a chrono format.
- Examples: LJ short, LJ long, Sinkula
- Resume blasting - never spend money. Do a little legwork of your own, and pick 3-4 key job boards (more later)
- Design Tips (lower half of page)
- Fine Tuning
- Getting it read
Cover letter basics
- Print - as needed, fresh good paper for an interview
- PDF - 1 page and 2 page version, and/or 1 or 2 generic variations for web site
- Online - using a job board service like Indeed.com