Office: BE3175c, no phone
Hours: Appointment only
Tuesday, August 10
DUE August 19: Assignment 5
- 3-D Tools
- Bone Tool
- AS3 Buttons
- Use New File/Actionscript 3
- Publish Settings: Flash 10/Actionscript 3
- Does not suddenly create 3D graphics
- Most 3D stuff requires use of Actionscript 3 to program things like x and y coordinates, motions, etc.
- The bone tool can only be used in Flash Player 10 AS3.
- The tool allows you to animate multiple movie clips (unanimated ones) - such as parts to make cartoon figures.
- Can animate with Runtime - where viewer can move items
- Can animate with Authortime, when you do the moving
- The Bind tool allows for more specific movements
- 3D Tweening allows you to use the 3D Rotation and 3D Translation tools
- Can only be used on movieclip symbols (not button symbols or graphic symbols, and not on animated movieclips)
- Can only be used on Motion Tweens of a single symbol, though anywhere in the tween you can adjust the rotation and translation with the Properties tab and/or the Motion Editor
- AS3 buttons are more intensive than AS2.
- The code is completely different, and for developers it is more robust and stable. For visual designers, it is not at all easy.
- AS3 relies upon variables, functions, and events (like clicks, mouseovers, etc.) and each of these has to be scripted with button instance names.
- Buttons may not be scripted directly, but rather on the frame that hold's the button.
- Multiple buttons need to be set 1 to a layer.
Events and Event Handlers
- In Flash, an event is any kind of interaction by the end user
- An event can also be triggered by object instances (developers)
- Event Handlers are the response to an event, like a mouse click
- Event Listeners tell Flash to listen for an event like the specific mouse click for a specific button so the event handler can react.
- Event Targets allow you to target a specific object to act, like the specific button
- In AS2 you don't really get into all this, but AS3 is all about programming
- Flash CS4 has to forms of troubleshooting when you run a movie: Output and Compile Errors
- This occurs for Actionscript errors/conflicts, and occurs a LOT for AS3
- Gives you a clue as to the frame number and named layer, and can point you to the break in the code, like a missing bracket or parent-child relationship
Thursday, August 12
- Loading External Content
- Media Encoder
- Flash uses its own video format: FLV (FP6+, standard quality) and F4V (FP 9+, higher quality)
- Embedding video - useful for tiny videos with no sound, < 10 seconds. Use File/Import Video and get a wizard to walk you through. Choose the Embed FLV in SWF
- Import a video - this does not embed but loads dynamically at runtime. Same Import Video wizard, choose Load External Video.
- You can also skin the video player component that is used to give it your own style. See pages 286-289 to learn more.
Flash Media Encoder
- Flash Media Encoder is a separate, free program you can download if it doesn't come with your Flash install.
- Allows you to convert a movie from another format, like mp3, mp4, wmf, etc.
- Comes with encoding presets for compression
- Can use the Media Encoder to adjust your output settings.
- We won't be using this in class.
- Used for creating web pages and for standalone applications
- We already know how to publish the SWF file for viewing
- You can link to these from your own web site, like an example movie.
- You can use Export to export an image of any frame of your movie
- You can also use Export to create Quicktime video which you can edit in another program, stream over the internet, and burn to cds.
- Use File/Export/Export Movie, and follow the dialogue boxes as needed.
Publishing as a Web Page
- Flash also exports an HTML page when you publish your movie, allowing the movie to be viewed in a browser.
- Example Movie
- Example Web Page of the movie
Optimizing Your Work
- You can optimize your movie through the Publish Settings.
- Set the Image and sounds JPG quality
- SWF Settings for compress movie and not including hidden layers
- Create your own Profile once you have settings you like
- You can also use the Bandwidth Profiler for additional optimizing.
- Use this when you are testing your movie, Ctrl B.
- You can test the Download Settings and Quality, and Simulate Download.