Office: BE3175c, no phone
Hours: Appointment only
WEB170 Syllabus - Web Animation using Flash
This course covers the basics of Adobe Flash CS4 for PC. You will learn how to use the various tools for drawing, painting, text, layout, wireframing, and more.
Objectives & Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of WEB170 Flash, you will be able to:
- Understand the concepts of linear animation
- Identify the role of ‘Rich Media’ and current uses of animation in the world of Web Design
- Gain a basic understanding of Adobe Flash CS4 for PC
- Create 2-D animation projects including but not limited to graphics, text, sound, movement, interactivity.
- Understand Flash web usability and SEO issues
- Integrate Flash content into an SEO ready/validating HTML page
- Understand when to build web sites with Flash and create a basic starter template
- Demonstrate how to prepare multimedia for a variety of platforms/situations
Required Text: Teach Yourself VISUALLY Flash CS4 Professional, Keith Butters, 2009.
Required Materials: Minimum 2 gigabyte USB Flash drive, class website, 7 days/week internet access and e-mail capability, student login & password, StudioBast E-Learning access.
Presentation: Discussions, demos, and hands-on tutorials in US English.
Evaluation Methods: Your final grade will be a culmination of your class assignments, quizzes, tasks, attendance, and participation. See Class FAQ's.
Attendance and Participation: Students are expected to participate in lecture, discussions and lab time. Attendance is mandatory.
- Assignments will prepare students to create a Final Project to be presented in class at quarter’s end
- Assignments will be "assigned" according to the website schedule and discussed/demoed in class
- Assignments will be "due" according to the assignment pages
- Assignments will be marked down 33% the 1st day they are late, and 100% the 2nd day
- Students are responsible for understanding/following the assignment information on assignment pages
- Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the class website and tools, and checking them regularly. See Class FAQ's.
- Students are also responsible for noting/ following assignment information given in class and on web site.
- Students are also responsible for accessing, checking, and using the StudioBast E-Learning tool for keeping up with their current grades, quizzes, uploads, etc.
- Students are completely responsible for contacting instructor in person (during class or when scheduled) or by e-mail to note if there is a concern with any due date. No contact, no grade revisions/redos.
- Attendance mandatory - miss 2, need to change priorities/class fast.
- Assignment deadlines mandatory - no matter what. Email with specific issue and gameplan 1+ day in advance if needed.
- Take the needed time to do the requested/recommended tasks between classes. Don't assume you'll get 100% info, expertise, or work done just in classes.
- Get help, advising, counseling, tutoring, and/or classmate work groups early.
- Have classes and lab fees paid up by end of 2nd week of the quarter. You are responsible for staying on top of financial aid, worker retraining, etc.
For 'out of class' assistance, please sign up for a tutor.
(Americans with Disabilities Act) If you need course adaptations or Accommodations because of a disability, if you have emergency medical information to share with me, or if you need or if you need special arrangements in case the building must be evacuated, please make an appointment with me ASAP. Thanks!!