Day 1 - February 7, 2015
DUE Thursday, February 12: MICe QUIZ
DUE Thursday, February 12: MICe ASSIGN 1
MIC102e: Class Introduction and CANVAS tool
Excel 2013: Overview and basics of the Excel 2013 interface and basic worksheets.
SECTION 1 GAMEPLAN
- MIC102E Basic Class Info
- Get logged in to school computer
- Log into CANVAS tool
- Verify familiarity with Browsers and Cloud Email
- Office 2013 File management basics
- School tools
- 24/7 internet access, even dial-up
- Working Email account and email address
- 1-2 gigabyte USB Flash drive
- Class web site (you are here now!)
- CANVAS tool.
- Microsoft Office 2013 programs access- class, computer lab, library.
- Attendance and performance
- Time management - 2:1
- NO REQUIRED BOOK. Suggested Text: Microsoft Excel 2013 Plain & Simple
by Curtis Frye, Microsoft Press, First Ed., ISBN-978-0735627277. Used, digital, rented, library okay. Not ordered for this class, NOT required.
Attendance and performance
- Add teacher to your webmail so you get messages from me.
- Contacting LJ - add email@example.com to
your email contact list.
- Make a MIC102e folder/label in your web email account.
- KEEP all email conversations with me for proof.
What this class does
- MS Excel basics through practice
- Workflow and communication
Get your homework assignment folders set up on your USB Flash drive.
- Open Start/Computer, navigate to your USB Flash Drive, and create a NEW folder called MIC102e.
- INSIDE your MIC102e folder, create a new folder called Demos, then create another folder called Assignments.
SECTION 2 GAMEPLAN
- Excel 2013 Program: overview and interface
- Program: views
- Program: preferences
- Look at Taskbar to find Start
- Look for Microsoft Office: Microsoft Excel 2013 (look for little green icon) - then double-click that.
Microsoft Excel is an electronic spreadsheet program that can be used for
storing, organizing and manipulating information. It is primarily used for performing
basic mathematical operations, graphing or charting data, and sorting and filtering
data. It has support for use in a MS Office workflow with Word, Access, PowerPoint,
Get to know the basic functions of MS Excel 2013.
- Open, Review screen:
- Menu/Ribbon, Opened basic page, and Page panel.
- Save, save as, file naming.
- Explore Menu/Ribbon tabs:
- Home: Basic text functions - formatting, positioning, styles
- Insert: tables, images, shapes, charts, page sections
- Page Layout: Layout of the slides – margins, positioning,
- Formulas: For performing mathematical calculations on rows and columns
of numerical data.
- Data: For sorting and organizing data.
- Review: Spelling, language, tracking, etc.
- View: screen views, rulers, gridlines, windows.
- Add-ins: Based on additional programs a workiplace might
have that work with MS Excel. Can include types of macros and specific formulas.
Preferences - File tab / Backstage area
Set your preferences for workflow and productivity.
- Office 2007 had an Office button, 2013 has a tab called FILE
- FILE Tab
- Same layout as Word, Powerpoint, and Access.
- Allows personalizing, print, save, and publish.
- Preferences: Excel Options:
- Customize editing, saving, and other program options
- Personalize a mini-toolbar for minimizing ribbon
Workbooks are made up of pages with tabular, formula, and chart content.
- Excel opens with a default number of blank workbook pages, which you can change, name, and delete.
- Cells are all names by column (letter) and row (number).
- Easier and more accurate sorting benefits from column header row.
- Info goes into individual cells, and is accepted (enter) or rejected (red
- Formula bar at top shows info that is inside a specific cell.
- Calculations are based on selecting various cells to be calculated in some
- Cells can be formatted - font, color, size, etc.
- Page can be formatted with borders, color, alignment.
View - View Tab
- You can set rulers on or off.
- You can also set guides for aligning text and images.
- You can choose the window view you like to work in, such as draft, outline, and print layouts.
You can import documents from other programs, as:
- Text only
- Rich Text Format
- Open Office Org (and others)
- Older versions of Excel
Creating new spreadsheet, adding text, and familiarizing with items this section covers.
- Save as newsheetbasics.xlsx in your MIC102e/demos folder.
SECTION 3 GAMEPLAN
- Worksheets: new, existing, saving, closing, and renaming
- Worksheets: setting up document - margins, size
- Worksheets: rows and columns basics
- Formula Bar
- Basic one-touch styles: bold, italics, underline, etc.
- Conditional Formatting
- MICe ASSIGN 1 Prep
Page Layouts - Page Layout Tab
The Page Layout tab allows you to set the physical format of your page.
- Choose page size, orientation, and margins.
- Change the columns and add page breaks and sections.
- Set page border and colors (good for attractive print-outs).
- Cell contents
- Cell addresses
- Formatting cell contents
- Freezing Panes
Text Formatting - Home Tab
You can manually change the way your text looks.
- Set bold, italic, and underlining.
- Change alignments and spacing
- Change cell content formats.
- Change the font color and size.
- Insert rows and columns.
Format Painter - Home tab
- Allows you to "capture" an existing style and apply it to any text
you click on.
- Single-click applies once
- Double-click locks so you can reuse it
Conditional Formatting - Home Tab
- You can apply conditional formatting based on specific conditions you want to be highlighted.
- Example: contents of cell is less than a certain quantity.
Basic Sorts - Data tab
- Allows you to sort a full spreadsheet based on data in a column or row, like Last Names.
- Sorting useful for alphabetizing.
You can right-click on text and images in your document to pull up context-menus that are specific to the item you wish to edit.
- Right-clicking on a cell will show a text-editing content menu, including paragraphs, buttes, and hyperlinking.
- You can further edit/format cells with the type of data you require, such as numbers, currency, dates, etc.
- You can also set the data alignment and position in the cells - top, bottom, center, etc.
- You can right-click on, or double-click an inserted image or object, to get an object-editing menu for border, fill, size, transparency, and more.
Modify a basic Excel spreadsheet document to look at basic Excel text tasks.
- Download excelbasics.xlsx and
save it in your MIC102e/demos folder under the same name.
- Name the first worksheet.
- Add a worksheet.
- Delete any extra worksheets.
- Create a new column heads for birthdate.
- Add dates, and change date formats.
- Add a Numbers column (Salary), and Use the Autosum to total it.
- Try basic text format changes - bold, italic, color.
- Use the Format painter.
- Try a conditional formula on the Numbers column.
MICe ASSIGN 1 Prep: How to use assignment instructions, and get started.
If we have time left over, we may start Assignment 1 work in class. No promises.
- HOT: If you do not already have one, get a 1 gigabyte USB Flash drive before the next class.
- Check out your Learning Style to see what class info/method you might need to boost.
- MICe AGREE: Syllabus Agreement, due before 11:55pm Thursday, February 12.
- MICe ASSIGN 1: Spreadsheet Formatting, due before 11:55pm Thursday, February 12.