School Tools, MS Office 2013, MS Word 2013, intro to OneNote. Book: Chapter 12
ITC QUIZ 3, due Sunday, October 26.
ITC ASSIGN 3, due Sunday, October 26.
- A group of productivity software programs.
- Create and save documents.
- Collaborate with others.
- Uses a common user interface between each program.
- Each program has some of tools used in other Office programs.
- Each program has integration capabilities with the others.
- Basic skillset required in many jobs, such as clerical, administrative,
management, government, and info-sharing work.
- Seattle Central is now using MS Office 2013, but was using 2010 Summer Quarter 2013 and before.
- Word-processing program
- Create lists, forms, brochures, papers, stories, and any kind of content for text documents.
- Spreadsheet program
- Create financial and informational spreadsheets with calculations, charts, tables, and other data forms.
- Presentations program
- Create slideshows and animated presentations to accompany reports and speeches,
and to add onto web sites for information and marketing.
- Desktop Publishing program
- Create flyers, brochures, invitations, calendars, booklets, posters, etc..
- Database program
- Create multi-faceted databases of information that you can query and filter for specific information and display in reports.
- Email program
- Use integrated Office email for sending messages and documents, scheduling meetings, and creating task lists to keep up on work.
- Flowchart program
- Design diagrams, org charts, floorplans, and simple mapping with shapes and stencils.
- Project management tool.
- Analyze / plan resources, create timelines, see tasks, report project status, invite / see team members, and collaborate.
- Note-collecting program
- Gather typed and handwritten notes, links, web pages, sketches, embedded files, videos and other media and assemble it in one place.
- Cloud storage provided free when you sign up for a free Microsoft account.
- When you try to save a file, you have the OneDrive as a location option.
- This is a utility program, not a productivity tool.
OTHER Microsoft tools
Enterprise/corporate tools, not for general productivity use.
- Replacement for Windows Messenger.
- Geared towards corporate environments - enterprise software.
- Web application platform.
- Geared towards corporate environments - enterprise software.
- Can be used to provide intranet portals, document & file management, collaboration, social networks, extranets, websites, enterprise search, and business intelligence.
Office 2013 User Interface
- Working window (unopened and open documents)
- Multiple windows
- Office tab - customizable
- Menu ribbon: SEE the differences!
- Quick Access Toolbar
- Sidebar panels
- Minimizing/maximizing window
- Office 2007 had an Office button, 2010 and 2013 have a FILE tab to the "Backstage" view.
- List of recent documents
- New, open, and close documents
- Save and convert documents
- Get templates
- Prepare documents for other actions
- Print, publish, and send documents
- Program options
MS Office Install alternatives
- Libre Office: Free installation alternative to MS Office's word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, drawing, wiki publisher, PDF importer, and database programs. All platforms.
- Apache Open Office: Free installation alternative to MS Office's word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, drawing, and database programs. All platforms. NeoOffice is specifically Mac supporting.
- FreeOffice: Free installation alternative to MS Office's word processing, spreadsheet, & presentations.
- Google Docs: Free cloud alternative to MS Office's word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, image editing, and forms. Collaborate online too, plus intyegrates with other Google tools.
- Some Reviews for other types too.
Microsoft OneNote Introduction
OneNote 2013 - Start Button
- OneNote is an Information Manager.
- Acts as a digital notebook that provides a single place where you can gather all of your notes and information, like a paper notebook broken up by tabbed sections.
- Allows shared notebooks between users. (ljbt)
- Automatically saves your work for you.
- Useful for quick dumps of information (emails, your own notes, pieces from various programs) that you can later pull into documents, presentations, calenders, etc.
- You cannot actually grab and drag video, but you can add links to videos.
- Lets you access the information by tagging it when you first "note" it so you can find by keywords or tags.
- Works well with Tablet PCs as well as PCs with keyboards.
- Word 2013 overview and interface
- Documents: new, existing, saving, closing, and renaming
- Documents: basic one-touch styles: bold, italics, underline, etc.
- Documents: Basic setup and inserts.
- Look at Taskbar to find Start
- Look for Microsoft Office: Microsoft Word 2013 (look for little blue icon) - then double-click that.
Microsoft Word Introduction
Microsoft Word is a productivity word processing program. It is primarily used for text-related tasks, like correspondence, lists, reports, publications, etc. It has support for use in a MS Office workflow with Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook. NOTE: Office 2011 on Macs may have differences in the Menus/Ribbons.
Get to know the basic functions of MS Word.
- Open, Review screen:
- Menu/Ribbon, Opened basic page, and Page panel.
- Save, save as, file naming
- Explore Menu/Ribbon tabs
- Home: Basic text functions like formatting, positioning, styles.
- Insert: tables, images, shapes, charts, page sections.
- Page Layout: Layout of the pages, including margins, positioning, indents, etc.
- References: Used for research papers needing footnotes, endnotes, tables of contents, etc.
- Mailings: Allows mail merge from spreadsheet or database table data (like names and addresses).
- Review: Spelling, language, document change tracking, etc.
- View: screen views, rulers, gridlines, windows.
- Acrobat: For PDF workflow.
You can right-click on text and images in your document to pull up context-menus that are specific to the item you wish to edit.
- Right-clicking on text will show a text-editing content menu, including paragraphs, bullets, and hyperlinking.
- You can right-click on, or double-click an inserted image or object, to get an object-editing menu for border, fill, size, transparency, and more.
Open/Import documents - File tab
- Text only
- Rich Text Format
- Open Office Org (and others)
- Older versions of Word
View - View Tab
- You can set rulers on or off.
- You can also set guides for aligning text and images.
- You can choose the window view you like to work in, such as draft, outline, and print layouts.
Text Basics and Manipulation - Home Tab
- Opens to a standard style
- Font type, size, weight
- Spacing between words and paragraphs
- Copy and paste
- Cut and paste
- Moving info by dragging
- Access Font and Paragraph panels
Basic Content - Home Tab
Documents are made up of pages with content.
- Text paragraphs and lists.
- Images and clip art.
- Headings, subheadings, captions, and paragraph text.
- Page and section breaks.
Modify a basic Word document to look at basic Word text functions.
- Visit a MAC Lab, 5th Floor, Room #5104. MEET THERE.
Check out the MACs on the 5th floor.
- Log in
- Look over the User Interface
- The Command key on a Mac does the same thing as the Control key on a PC.
- Minimize behaves like it's supposed to.
- Closing the last open window still leaves an application running. You have to close that separately or hit Command + Q to quit an app.
- ITC QUIZ 3: Due Sunday, October 26.
- ITC ASSIGN 3: Due Sunday, October 26.