Software, Applications, Online Apps, Mobile Apps. Book: Chapters 6, 7
ITC QUIZ 2, due Sunday, October 19.
ITC ASSIGN 2, due Sunday, October 19.
- Computer software is any set of machine-readable instructions (most often in the form of a computer program) that directs a computer's processor to perform specific operations.
- Software is required to use hardware, like the computer, monitor, external drives, etc.
- Software is a set of programs, executable files, libraries, scripts, procedures, algorithms and its documentation concerned with the operation of a data processing system.
Types of software
- Firmware: software that has been permanently stored in hardware to provides the control program for the device, like the BIOS of the PC computer, basic software built into hard disks and flash storage, embedded systems like consumer appliances, and digital cameras. It is a combination of persistent memory, program code, and basic data stored in it.
- Flashing firmware: the overwriting of existing firmware or data on ROM modules present in an electronic device with new data, such as to upgrade firmware, or change the provider of a service,
- System: basic software needed for a computer to operate - the Operating
- Programming: software include tools in the form of programs or applications that software developers use to create, debug, maintain, or otherwise support other programs and applications, like debuggers and text editors. Examples include Crimson Editor (code editor), Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger.
- Malicious: Like viruses, worms, and malware, which is designed to harm computers / secturity of information.
- Application: Software that uses the computer system to perform useful work beyond the operation of the computer itself. For instance, utilities and productivity programs. Mobile Apps fall in here too. Examples include Calculator, LibreOffice, Photoshop, etc.
- Operating System: a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs.
- Tablets have even more OS software: Android, Blackberry, Apple iOS, Linux, Firefox, Windows, MS Surface, etc.
- Peripherals: services and software for linking/running printers, monitors, keyboard, mouse, and other peripherals used with a computer.
- Device driver: communicates with a device through the computer bus or communications subsystem to which the hardware connects. Video and sound cards need drivers, for instance.
- People tend to use Programs, Applications, and Software interchangably.
- Software is the all encompassing term nor non-hardware.
- Applications are executables that allow the computer user to accomplish specific tasks that require computer processing. They are limited to a specific operating system. Examples include Ilustrator, Word, etc.
- Program and application are mostly interchangeable terms, although programs can be further defined as including services and drivers.
- Application vs App: Folks often use these interchangably, but an app usually refers to a mobile application, and/or an applet-type of program that has limited use.
- Productivity: applications that accomplish specific jobs, like word processing. Examples include the MS Office Suite, Quickbooks.
- Utilities: system software designed to help analyze, configure, optimize or maintain a computer, like antivirus, disk management, etc.
- Plug-in: A software component that adds a specific feature to an existing software application, which enables customization.
- Graphics: applications like Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, Camtasia, Final Cut, Corel, etc.
- Games: applications like Everquest 2, The Secret World, Mahjongg, Solitaire, etc.
- Subscription Applications
- Web/Online Applications
- Mobile Apps
- Cloud Computing
- These are applications that are subscribed to by users over a network such as the Internet or an intranet.
(We'll be talking about these another time.)
- Internet access is required to download, activate, and register the programs for use.
- These can allow users to download a full installation of an application, like MS Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud, and pay a monthly subscription to keep active rather than pay full price up front.
- Referred to as SaaS (Software as a service) - on-demand software.
- These are also applications that are accessed by users over a network.
- The actual application/package is hosted on the vendor's own server and logged into by customers, like NetSuite, MS Office 365 Online, Google Apps for Business, SalesForce, Host Analytics CPM, Taleo
- Can allow for many users to use the application at once, rather than one at a time on hardware like the PC.
- Uses a web browser as a platform to run on.
- Web applications can be updated and distributed much more rapidly and often than PC apps.
- Includes web apps like Google Docs, webmail, wikis, browser games, web image editing programs, etc.
- What IS Cloud Computing?
- Software as a service and/or subscription
- Data storage/retrieval as a service
- Use of tools like Taleo, Monster.com, Pixlr, other online-only free and pay-to-use software.
- Storage of data and records on the servers of vendors other than the company the customer works with, like for healthcare, financial, etc.
- Subscriptions rather than licensed rental of software
- Can use Cloud-focused devices, like small hard-drive tablets and the Chrome book
Let's look at some examples!
Finding General Apps/Programs
- Asana: Project coordination
- Trello: Project coordination
- Adobe is killing further versions of Creative Suite in favor of going to the Cloud Version only.
!!!!!!!!!!! If Computer Problems were Real !!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T DO THIS! !!!!!!!!!!!
Non Windows systems
- Mac maintenance/cleanup/fixes can include: force-quit stuck programs, viewing the activity monitor, Apple Utilities, disk management, software updates, booting into safe mode, running malware and virus checks, etc.
- Tablet maintenance/cleanup/fixes can include: keeping it charged and clean, deleting unused applications, freeing up RAM, fuls restarts, have updated apps, factory reset, using virus and malware protection, and rooting.
- Phone maintenance/cleanup/fixes can include: Using a web/downloadable troubleshooting service from the carrier, doing a master reset, remove/replace battery, update phone software, make sure call forwarding is set properly, and eliminate some 3rd-party apps.
Basic Windows 7 OS Cleanup/Tune-Up
- Be sure you have everything backed up.
- If you get error messages, take screen shots.
- You can find most tasks through searching the Control Panel.
- PC - What's happening: Control + Alt + Delete, Task manager. See running applications, started services, processes, performance
- PC - Run antivirus and PC Check-up full checks
- PC - get rid of unneeded items: Computer / C Drive / Properties, choose Disk Cleanup
- PC - Computer settings, disk maintenance: Control Panel / System and Security, Power Options, Defrag,
- PC - Disk clean-up by uninstalling programs: Control Panel / Programs / Unistall a Program
- Problems: Control Panel Troubleshooters (for internet connection and other things), File Recovery, System Restore.
- Action Center
- Windows Defender
- Computer Manufacturer-specific utilities (like Dell Action Center, Alienware Autopsy, etc.)
Additional free tools
- ITC QUIZ 2: Due Sunday, October 19.
- ITC ASSIGN 2: Due Sunday, October 19.
- ITC EXTRA 1: Word Search - Name My Parts, 2 points. Print out, have fun, give me your Print-Out, due Wednesday, Oct 22.
- ITC EXTRA 2: Your Name in Binary, 1 point. Translate your name into binary, and upload it at CANVAS tool, due Wednesday, Oct 29. Example: Lisa Bothell = 01001100 01101001 01110011 01100001 00100000 01000010 01101111 01110100 01101000 01100101 01101100 01101100